GUIDELINES: add your self-guided adventurEs to the GAME
These Guidelines aim to help you determine the type of Self-Guided Adventures you should submit to Adventure Junky, in order to maximise your chances of having them added to the Game, and earning Bonus Points and Patches.
Firstly, what do we mean by Adventure?
We define Adventure as travel that involves two or more of the following:
– physical activity
– immersion in nature
– cultural engagement
This busts a common myth that Adventure Travel is only about extreme sports. In fact, adventure travel includes many different activities from snorkelling to snowshoeing. See a more expansive list below*
Secondly, what do we mean by Self–Guided?
An Adventure is Self-Guided if it is undertaken by an individual or group, for the most part, of their own accord, and without the assistance of a professional Tour Company. This doesn’t mean that the Adventure has to be entirely unassisted, just that it is undertaken independently.
ADVENTURE SELECTIOn CRITERIA
What do we look for when selecting Self-Guided Adventures to be added to the Game?
– Unique and authentic experiences. We are looking for Adventures that go beyond the iconic sites and well travelled paths. They might take a month or an afternoon to complete. They could be as spontaneous as a local hike, or as planned as an antarctic crossing.
– Great photography, technically and creatively. The higher quality the better. We are not a big fan of noticeably enhanced or heavily filtered images. We encourage, allow and display image credits, but do not accept images with credits inlaid into the image.
– A story well told. You don’t need to write an essay about your adventure, but we love it when someone takes the time to describe their adventure in detail.
– Adventures the are low-impact and suited to small groups. Adventure travel, more so than any other form of travel is linked inextricably to the natural environment and local cultures. Without pristine natural environments and meaningful cultural experiences, the power of adventure travel to inspire, educate and connect, will be lost forever.
Some people are protective about sharing their favourite places and like to keep them private. We understand and respect that. Some places just don’t need any more people visiting them. If we become aware of any Adventure Junky Adventure that disrespects the natural environment or local culture, we will remove it immediately from the Game.
What happens once I submit my Adventure?
Your submitted Adventure will be reviewed within a few days. We may contact you by email if we need to ask questions.
What happens if my Adventure is accepted and added to the Game?
Your Adventure may be edited by Adventure Junky prior to being added to the Game. Once it is added, you will be awarded the Game Points, as calculated from your location. You will also be awarded the relevant Morale Patches. Every time another Player Checks-in to your Adventure you will receive additional Bonus Points. The Adventure will also be added to the ‘Completed’ Section of your Bucket List.
* Other Adventure travel activities include but not are limited to:
Four wheel driving